Molasses Ginger Cake Donuts with Ginger Glaze
Some of you may be thinking that donuts are complicated to make, but they aren’t, and this is coming from someone who at one time failed at baking. If you can follow a well written recipe for cake you can make donuts and remember these are cake donuts not doughnuts requiring yeast and rise time. You will need donut pans which are easy to come by, I purchased mine at Michael’s craft store but easily available at Amazon. The donut recipes I share are moist and delicious using quality ingredients for a less guilty pleasure. It’s fun to make your own donuts at home from mixing to baking it takes about 45 minutes let it cool at top with glaze. Last night when Jeff arrived home from work his eyes and smile widened when he saw a dozen donuts sitting on a plate.
Note: Once you purchase essential spices you’ll be able to use them in many recipes, the below spices are used often in my baking and cooking.
Note #2: The ingredients I use in baking are chosen for high quality and better for you food, if you can’t access the unrefined sugar, use regular brown sugar and regular molasses, but I find better quality lends better taste and this blog is about making better choices in the products/food we use.
350 @ 24minutes
¾ cup all purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp baking soda
1/4 cup fine ground organic unrefined brown sugar such as muscovado
1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
1/2 tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp ground clove
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 ½ tsp ginger
1/3 cup melted organic coconut oil or organic cold pressed olive oil
3/4 cup almond milk + 2 tbsp or soy milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar – I use raw but not necessary
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp ground flax seed + 5 tbsp water
Pre Heat the oven to 350 with rack in middle, lightly oil two donut pans
1. In a medium bowl combine the almond milk and vinegar, stir and set aside.
2. In another bowl combine the ground flax and water and set aside
3. Use a large sifter and place it over a large bowl - combine the flours, baking soda, sea salt, baking powder, sugar and spices. Use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients through the sifter and mix again with the whisk once it passes through the sifter and is in the bowl.
4 Combine the molasses, almond milk and vanilla extract mix very well using a whisk, add the flax seed and mix well again, finally add the oil and mix very well
5. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk until combined – don’t over mix.
6. Quickly add mixture to the donut pans using a spoon, I scoop it out with small spoon, you will need to use your clean finger to spread it evenly, bake on the middle rack for 24 minutes –.
7. When done let the donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes on a wire wrack. Then carefully take out of the pan by flipping over onto the rack and continue cooling.
Should be cool before adding the glaze
Ginger Cinnamon Glaze
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp + ½ tsp almond milk
To prevent lumps use a sifter to sift the sugar, ginger, and cinnamon in a bowl this will result in a nice powder. Add the milk, careful not to add too much milk or it will be runny and not glaze properly.
To make stripes on the donut use a spoon with some glaze on it and stripe over the donut, or dip the donut if you want more coating.