So satisfying to make your own granola at home, because… have you noticed it can be pretty expensive and for some reason, vegan granola is even pricier. I’ve made granola a few times but never chunky like this, which is always the goal. I love chunky granola. The secret is to press it firmly in the baking sheet prior to baking, rather than lightly laying it on the sheet, then tossing it half way through baking. This produces large size granola bites, which is great if you want to grab and go without making a mess. You can make smaller chunks simply by breaking them apart. Anyway, I’m loving this version which replaces the one I made two years ago. Enjoy this with non - dairy milk for breakfast, some fruit or topped on anything that fancies you.
Have a great weekend! xoxoxo
Bake at 325
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ tsp sea salt
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
Zest of one orange
½ cup currants such as cranberry or raisins
1 cup of combined seed and nuts pumpkin, sunflower, almonds
¼ cup melted raw coconut oil
½ cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup mashed banana about 1.5 bananas
½ cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pre heat oven to 325 rack in middle. Line an 11x17 baking sheet with parchment paper
1. Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl and stir well
2. Combine melted oil, peanut butter, maple syrup, extract, and mashed banana in blender until combined or use a fork to stir but may take more work.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well pressing as you stir to coat all dry ingredients. Spread and press the mixture on the prepared baking sheet in thin even layer.
4. Bake for 25 minutes the first side, pull from oven and flip over sections with spatula, the granola will fall apart as you flip, which is fine but try to leave large chunks, bake for another 15 minutes, at this point the granola doesn’t need to be pressed, just flip it, pull from oven and give one final toss leaving chunks and bake for another 10 minutes. The granola should be golden if it looks good with out the additional 10 minutes then pull out.
5. Carefully lift the parchment paper with granola on top and cool on wire rack, it will harden as it cools.